Saturday, December 13, 2008

Teacher gifts and holiday presents

My four-year-old son is in his first year of preschool, which means it's my first time planning teacher gifts. After quite a bit of thought, I'm planning to make Oreo truffles this weekend, and I've also done charitable gifts in honor of my son's teacher and assistant teacher via Heifer International. I hope the teachers like their gifts! Based on the responses I've heard from a few teachers to the ideas, they should go over well.

I'm a researcher and so I've been digging up other ideas for teacher gifts for future years. Gift certificates are a convenient and appreciated option, and gift certificates to bookstores, craft supply stores or popular everyday stores like Target also seem to be very good choices.

The charitable donations idea came to me after I was contemplating Target gift certificates. I had recently watched this Advent video about consumerism at the holidays, which made me feel that a charitable gift may be a wonderful option. I chose Heifer because it is convenient, a well known organization, easy to order online and has nice "packages" such as a flock of chicks, etc. Another option that would be wonderful that I'm considering for future gifts are donations to literacy and reading organizations -- issues close to most teachers' hearts. I asked online how people feel about charitable donations as teacher gifts and got a mixed response, many moms don't feel quite right giving that kind of gift, but -- most of the teachers who commented liked the idea!

Another great gift idea is giving to the classroom -- buying books or needed supplies, or giving a gift to the school. Ask your child's teacher or school librarian for ideas.

Of course, it's not required to give a teacher a holiday gift, and a kind thank you note from parent or child is always a wonderful idea. Everyone needs and deserves appreciation!

Do you give gifts to your children's teachers? Are you a teacher? What are your favorites?

5 comments:

Deanna H. said...

My husband and I are both teachers. Of course we would love any gift because it's a token of appreciation. I once got a half-burned candle, which was quite a lot from that student. Definitely the thought that counts! I would have to say that gift cards are our favorites-to eat out, movies, bookstores, etc.

Anonymous said...

The Seattle librarians who blog at Shelf Talk have posted several great lists of gift ideas for young readers of all ages ,- check it out!

Kate S said...

our preschool has 3 different classes and we managed to put together a holiday recipes/kids artwork/photos book for the teachers who run the classes, we've just about finished putting them together, in time before the Christmas break. :)

Loretta said...

Hi, Karen!
Thanks for visiting Christian Children's Book Review. I'm so glad you have been enjoying our blog!

BookChook said...

Looking back at past Christmas gifts from pupils' parents, the ones I remember most are the homemade ones, and the sincere letters. I remember fresh-baked bread in a brown paper bag, letters explaining the difference I'd made to a child's life, cards that after 12 months still couldn't spell my name - yikes!, a jar of delicious homemade basil pesto which leaked olive oil onto the lovely letter accompanying it.

To know that someone had taken the time to reflect on my teaching and my relationship with their child, and then tried to express their thanks, that truly did mean so much more than the standard box of chocolates.

Plus it was kinder to my hips!