Monday, December 22, 2008

Lunchtime Reading - Mouse Tales

Here is a little gem of a chapter book we found at our last library trip - Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel. The book has seven short stories about the adventures of little mice, and they read like old-fashioned folk tales. The stories are simple, with cute and colorful drawings on every page (and often interspersed among the text). The beginning of the book sets up the stories -- seven young mice are nestled in bed and their Papa will tell one story for each little mouse.

We are experimenting with lunchtime reading. On days when I am well-organized, the boys will sit at lunch and I will read to them. It works well, although if I hold the book so both boys can see the pictures, I end up reading upside down and/or sideways. Lunch reading is nice bonding and the boys seem to enjoy it too. It's a good opportunity for us to get more reading in besides bedtime.

5 comments:

Homeschool Friend said...

Hey Karen!!

We love reading at meal times!

We used to do books on audio all the time. That way all I had to do was hold the book with one hand and turn the pages when the bell chimed. I got to eat too!!!

Thanks for posting about this. I miss readign at mealtimes and want to get back into that routine!!

We lost the routine when I moved the books on cd to the boys bedrooms. (Out of sight, out of mind.)I think I need to move them back down to the kitchen.

And I love the audio books from the library! My library has so many! Does yours?

Great post! Thanks for blogging about this routine and this adorable book!

Sincerely,
Marietta

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

My daughter is eight now but when she was younger she absolutely *loved* Mouse Tales.

Deanna H. said...

Lunchtime reading sounds great. Thanks for the post. I gave you an award on my site.

Kate S said...

Hi Karen-

We love Arnold Lobel's books :)

DS loves Frog and Toad, and the Mouse Tales book.

I think if i tried reading to him at lunch it might make lunch take even longer, LOL :)

Kate

BookChook said...

Hi Karen, The book sounds darling. What is it with we humans and our obsession with mice? There are four people in my writing group, three of whom have novels with talking mice. Now if we can just get them published...!